Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Tavuk

I apologize for not writing in lately. I warned you all from the start though that I wouldn't be that reliable with my posts so....you were warned. Don't hold your breathe.

Anyways, something funny happened to us. We can't find any pork here so we've been eating a lot of chicken lately...or so we thought. The Turkish word for chicken is "Tavuk". At our local grocery store there's a huge sign labeled Tavuk hanging over a fridge so we just assumed everything in it was chicken. Except when we got home and started cooking we were always SHOCKED with the size of the chicken breast. These suckers are huge. We talked about it briefly but never really gave it much thought. Well last night I finally typed the label into google translator...we've been eating turkey this whole time.

The irony...eating turkey in Turkey. Hopefully we can find a whole Turkey to eat for Thanksgiving day instead of just the fillets! Its not a celebrated holiday over here but maybe we'll get lucky enough to eat turkey in Turkey on Turkey Day.

But even if we don't find a Turkey, the best part about Thanksgiving is that my mom will be here to celebrate it with us! I am so excited to have her here!!! Speaking of my mom, I just received the greatest care package ever from her! We had a friend from our branch go to Utah this last week so when she came back to Turkey she brought back an extra suitcase with her. My mom packed it full of goodies. It was such a treat. I meant to take pictures BUT cocoa had spilled all over the suitcase so instead of documenting the greatness, I was cleaning everything off and then I was enjoying my yummy salty Rold Gold pretzels. And we now have sheets that fit our bed so that's very exciting for me. I was going nuts! Thank you so much mom for sending us everything. I'm sure it wasn't easy running around picking up the random requests we had but we are so grateful for it and for you!


We miss you all. Sending our love from Turkey!

3 comments:

  1. Plots in turkey, life in turkey, talking turkey,eating turkey!! I know three people in Turkey who I love very much. Guess who they could be?. LOL

    ReplyDelete