Monday, September 15, 2014

25!

This past Saturday was Jordan's birthday! I thought I would be sweet and bake him a cake, get him a card and a gift, and make his day special. HAHAHA. I should have prepared in advance. Much much more in advance. But come on, when have I really had time in between having a baby, the NBA Summer League, and packing or selling everything we own. So I tried to make it happen in Turkey. But I failed. Quite terribly actually.

This is the cake box I bought at the store. The directions are in Turkish (duh!) so even though I bought every ingredient (as well as a baking pan and candles) I still had to figure this out. And then that's when I realized I didn't have any measuring cups or spoons. So I put the cake idea off to the side and eventually I ran out of time and it never happened. Oops.

*As a side note, I have since purchased measuring cups. In ignorance, I didn't realize they're not the same measurements I have used my whole life. Instead of cups and tablespoons, I'm working with grams and milliliters. So when I've attempted to cook or bake my recipes over here, I've had to convert each and every ingredient. And in case you were wondering, there is no easy conversion. It's a pain. And at best, I just roughly guestimate it and so far nothing has come out quite the same as it does at home. Not just because of the measurements but also because of the ingredients (or lack thereof) and the strange substitutions we've tried to make work....but don't.*

Then I searched high and low for a birthday card in English. The best thing I could come up with was this BLANK and MINIATURE card. Totally works. Right?? Ya, I Suck. But don't worry, it gets worse...

As for Jordan's gift, we had agreed to a shopping spree. But anyone who knows Jordan knows he loves to open up gifts. So I REALLY wanted to get him something anyways. Because anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE  Jordan and I love seeing him smile. And I love giving him unexpected gifts. BUT despite the argument in my head, I decided not to get him anything and hold off for the shopping spree. This decision had more to do with the fact that I didn't have cash on me, they don't accept my American debit card, and the one gift I wanted to get him he had already bought for himself...

Well his big day finally arrived. Kawika had had a rough night before and had woken me several times so I completely FORGOT which day it was. Jordan quietly woke up, brought Kawika to me so that I could nurse him and then slipped into the kitchen and brought me breakfast in bed. After I ate, I thanked him and started to get comfy in the blankets again. He just looked at me and smiled. I thought nothing of it. FINALLY he gently told me what day is was. CRAP. Are you kidding me? I thought and thought about this day for so long and what I could do to make it special and then boom. I failed. I landed on my a$$ and fell in a pile of Christmas. No gift. No cake. No birthday wishes. And I didn't even write in the card. But at the end of the day, I'm still married to him and I got breakfast in bed! 

So we jumped in the car, headed to the mall, and bought him a PS Vita. Normally I would never get him a gift that involves video games but come on..at that point I literally had no choice. Then we drove over to the Euro side for a friendly game. I gave a heads up to the team that it was Jordan's birthday and they were much more on top of it then I was so they got him a cake and sang to him in the locker room after the game. Even they did a better job than me! Jeesh. 


Afterwards we went out to dinner at Hard Rock with one of his teammates (Matt), his wife (Jessica), and their kids (Michael 3 and Mia 2 months). Everything about that night was perfect. We loved the overcrowded, busy, but beautiful streets. We loved the familiarity of the American food they served there. We loved the underground garage that never ended. We loved the company. We loved it all! 

This is me with Mia. I can't believe how small she is. She is all girl and I love it! K's first gf?? I think so! 

The bday boy blowing out his candles!

Our little family...

And the whole gang....

I am so grateful for my sweet sweet husband. He is patient (with me) and kind. He is outspoken and opinionated. He works his butt off. He is loyal. He loves the Lord. He is a great daddy. And sometimes I'm not sure why but he loves me. I am the luckiest. Happy birthday Jordan! 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday JB!! I have your gift. Pretty sure you can guess what it is. Can't wait to get it to you!

    ReplyDelete