Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Day 2. Hot and fresh out of the dryer. Not.

Jordan had to meet Ege downstairs early in the morning to go to the hospital for a physical and various tests so this was my first (but certainly not my last) time being left in our apartment alone. By this point, we had already eaten through the few groceries that Ege had stocked us with so I was pretty hungry. Instead of venturing out on my own, I stayed in the apartment and waited for Jordan to get home. I did this because let’s be honest, I am scared to go out alone but I was also tired and I really didn't feel like going out into the heat. Oh by the way, it is much cooler here than in Az but the only difference is that they hardly use air conditioning here. At least that’s been my experience with every building I’ve been in since we got here. Nobody runs the air conditioning and it’s hot. Especially for a newborn babe who prefers to be swaddled. 

So because of those reasons, I decided to stay inside and unpack everything. Well, some friends had given us some advice to bring some spices with us because we probably wouldn't be able to find them here. I’m glad we followed that advice because I can't find anything in the grocery store here BUT we failed to pack properly so one suitcase has some seriously strong smells coming out of it and everything in it is heavily seasoned with montreal steak spice. YUM. 

After unpacking I thought it would be nice to do some laundry. Everything is labeled in Turkish and since I don’t have internet in my apartment, I can't even look up the translations. But doing laundry is pretty self explanatory so I thought I had it covered. The only problem was that after it finished washing, I couldn't figure out how to make the dryer setting work. I pushed every single button and allowed each one to run through it’s entire cycle before trying the next setting. That was stupid. I must have washed this one load about 10 times and it took me ALL day. I finally gave up and decided that when Jordan got home we could walk to the cafe to get internet and google the translation for dryer.

Flash forward to Jordan finally home. We went to the cafe and couldn’t get internet access so still no progress on the dryer (as well as no contact with anyone at home). As we were leaving though, we ran into Ege as well as the team's owner’s son. The son happens to speak perfect English and he was able to provide me with the word I had been searching for (which by the way I have already forgotten). Well Ege overheard us talking and although he didn't understand dryer in English, he understood it in Turkish and he informed me that this tiny strange little washing machine does not dry. I’m not sure why I thought it was a combined washer and dryer. Maybe I've made this up on my own but I swear I've seen one before. I'm quite disappointed that its only a washer for the obvious reasons but also because I was excited to see how one machine could both wash AND dry our laundry. Oh well. Maybe another time. So long story short, before you wash your sheets 10 times (9 out of 10 without detergent), maybe just wait and ask someone how to use a Turkish (or other foreign) appliance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment